Prior to the commencement of testing or treatment at Salem Oncology Center, an estimate of the cost of services will be provided by our Business Office. We are not contracted with any insurance companies, including Medicare, therefore all insurance patients will be going “out of network” when they come to Salem Oncology Center. Because we are not contracted with any insurance, a financial deposit for all estimated services is to be made prior to the start of testing and/or treatment. Your claims will be filed with your insurance carrier, instructing your insurance company to reimburse you directly. The agreement by your insurance company to pay for your medical care is a contract between you and your insurance company. The ultimate responsibility of paying your medical expenses rests with you. At the time of your initial visit, you will be requested to sign a statement in which you accept and acknowledge ultimate financial responsibility for your medical expenses.
- For American insurance patients, all testing will be billed directly by the testing facility to your insurance carrier.
- For International patients, all testing will be placed on your Salem Oncology Center account and included in all estimates given. Salem Oncology Center does not accept Letters of Guarantee from any government agencies, embassies or third-party payers.
Why we do not accept insurance and third-party payers:
Salem Oncology Center is a highly sophisticated cancer treatment facility which is committed to providing the patient with the very best chance for a cure. Insurance companies and third-party payers interfere with the delivery of medical care due to financial parameters. While the objective of our center is to cure the patient, the objective of insurance and third-party payers is to minimize reimbursement. In diseases other than cancer, the difference between care which is insurance reimbursable and care which is independent of third-party payers could be the difference between excellence care and poor quality care, but in cancer, the difference could be between life and death. Our edge is that we provide both medicine and care far beyond standard norms to achieve a cure. Therefore, we do not accept any restrictions or impediments to the delivery of the very best medical care. Accordingly, we do not accept insurance or third-party payers.
A financial deposit sufficient to cover the estimated amount of services is required before testing or treatment can start. This estimate and deposit should be discussed with our Business Office, with the understanding that testing and/or treatment will not begin until such a deposit is made. Upon completion of testing and the finalization of all bills, any funds remaining on deposit with Salem Oncology Center will be returned to the patient. As an example if a deposit of $35,000.00 is given, and the actual charges total $32,000.00, after your departure from Salem Oncology Center and after all services have been paid in full, $3,000.00 will be refunded to you in the same manner in which your initial deposit was made, e.g., if you paid with a credit card, we will issue a refund to your credit card.
Salem Oncology Center will never guarantee a hospital admission for a patient. All hospital admission charges and related expenses are the responsibility of the patient, who will be required to make a financial deposit to the hospital prior to admission. Accordingly, all patients should arrive in Salem Oncology Center with a VISA, MasterCard or American Express credit card which can be used as a deposit for hospital admission expenses, should this be required. Your credit card(s) should be able to authorize a minimum of at least $15,000 as a deposit for hospital expenses.
The following is for your information regarding financial estimates and financial planning relating to consultation, testing and treatment at Salem Oncology Center. Please realize that we will welcome you as a patient and will guarantee that everything humanly possible will be done to give you the best medical advice and the best possible treatment. Before you come to Houston, we would like to advise you of the following:
- The initial consultation with Dr. Salem may cost between $600.00 - $1,200.00, depending on the time needed to give you the best medical advice for your individual case.
- For Dr. Salem to make a definitive plan of treatment, you will be required to undergo laboratory, x-ray and pathology studies. The cost of these studies will be between $30,000.00 and $40,000.00, depending on the tests ordered. It is customary for this evaluation to be completed before Dr. Salem can design a definitive treatment plan for you. A deposit for the estimated amount of this evaluation must be made prior to the commencement of testing.
- Once a treatment plan has been designed, expenses will depend on the exact type of treatment you will receive, whether treatment is surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy or a combination of all three. Before your treatment is started, you will be given an estimate of expenses by our Business Office.
- It is extremely difficult to estimate treatment expenses prior to the design of your specific treatment plan. Should you decide to receive treatment at Salem Oncology Center in Houston, you should be prepared to make a second deposit prior to the start of treatment. These financial issues are to be discussed with Paul Montes prior to your departure from home. It is difficult to give a more accurate estimate due to the variables involved, e.g., type of treatment, dosages, additional testing required during a cycle.
- At any time during your stay with Salem Oncology Center, our Business Office will be happy to provide you with a copy of your account, as well as to discuss any financial matters or concerns with you.
- Your evaluation and treatment planning by Dr. Salem will take approximately one week. Should you decide to remain in Houston for chemotherapy, please plan on staying more than one month.
- For your convenience, you may handle the payment of these funds in the following ways:
- Wire transfer of funds from your bank to ours
- Visa, MasterCard, American Express
- Checks Drawn on US Banks
- If you have any questions about Salem Oncology Center’s financial policies, please do not hesitate to call the Business Office and speak with Paul Montes. Our business office hours are 9:00 A.M.- 6:00 P.M., Central Time Zone Monday through Friday.
- It is important to recognize that the Business Office is totally and completely independent of the Medical Department. Any and all issues relating to financial matters should be discussed with the Business Office and not with our physicians or nursing staff.
- All professional fees, including physician fees, medication fees and other medical fees are decided by an Board of Administrators and not by members of our Salem Oncology Medical Staff.
- Salem Oncology Center fees are very competitive, although the time spent with patients is far beyond the norm.
- If you prefer to discuss your questions about our policies in a language other than English, please contact the following Salem Oncology Center staff members for assistance:
- Spanish: Paul Montes
- Spanish, Italian, Greek: Eleni A. Papageorge
- Arabic, French: Samia Salem Yazbeck
- Italian, French: Milly Russom
1. If you are coming to see Dr. Salem for a second opinion based on evaluation done outside Salem Oncology Centre, and for only one visit, this may cost you approximately USD 600-1,500.
2. If you are coming to Salem Oncology Centre for proper evaluation, and a design of strategy of therapy, this may cost you a minimum of 2-5 working days, and cost ranging between USD 5,000-30,000.
If you decide to receive treatment at Salem Oncology Centre, the cost of treatment needs to be discussed with the business office. It is extremely difficult to give an intelligent estimate of cost because this would depend on the specific treatment the patient will receive. You should not start any treatment before you agree with the business office on the expenses and cost of treatment.